Well, no not really, but I love these baked beans. The honey to sweeten them hits exactly the right taste buds. These will also last for ages in the fridge in an airtight jar and unlike traditional baked beans, due to the overnight soaking of the navy beans, will not bloat your belly.
400 g (2 cups) dried navy beans 2 Tbs olive oil 160 g (2 cups) onion – chopped 1 clove garlic – minced 680 ml (2 3⁄4 cups) tomato puree 150 g (1⁄2 cup) honey 2 Tbs cider vinegar 1⁄4 tsp ground nutmeg 1⁄4 tsp ground cinnamon 3 bay leaves 1⁄4 tsp ground black pepper 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F
- Soak the beans overnight.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Cook beans in boiling water for up to 2 hours.
- Drain beans and place into a large casserole dish.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet and sauté the onions and garlic until browned.
- Add the onions and garlic to the beans.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir.
- With the lid on, bake the beans for 3 1⁄2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Check moisture level and add water if needed.
- After 3 1⁄2 hours remove the cover and keep baking for another 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate in an airtight jar for up to one week.